How to Apply for Head Start Preschool, Infant and Toddler Care
Please bring in ONE of the following documents under each category from (1-2), and (3) if it applies to you.
• Age Verification (child’s birth certificate, passport, hospital records)
• Current Immunization Record with TB clearance
• If applying for full day services, please include sibling verification for children under 18
• If child has certified special needs a copy of an individualized education plan (IEP) and individualized family service plan (IFSP) are required.
1. Residency Verification:
Services are only provided to San Francisco residents; eligibility criteria may change if families move out of service area during program year.
• Landlord lease or letter
• Proof of receiving public services
• Letter from a Social Service Agency or Governmental Agency
• Self-certification of being homeless
2. Family Income
Please bring in income of all members of the family for the last twelve months. The following documents are required as income verification:
• Pay Stubs (12 months)
Please bring in the following paystubs according to your pay cycle: weekly (4) paystubs, Every Two Weeks (2) paystubs, and Monthly (1) paystub.
• Individual Income Tax form 1040 (expanded 1040)
• W-2 Forms
• Unemployment Information
• Formal Child Support
3. Automatic Eligibility
If any of the following circumstances apply, you may be automatically income eligible for Head Start programs
• If your family is currently homeless
• If you have a foster child placed with you, please bring in foster placement documents. You will not need to bring in proof of income.
• If your family is currently receiving TANF benefits, please bring in Public Assistance letter with amount receiving (dated within 30-days)
• If your family is currently receiving Supplemental Security Income, please bring in SSI statement with amount receiving (dated within 30-days).
*If you do not have any of the above proof of income, you may fill out a Self-Declaration form reflecting the income you have earned for the last 12 months.
Families enrolled in the program must meet Federal income guidelines and/or State income requirements. A minimum of 10% of Head Start enrollment is reserved for children with certifiable special needs, conditions or disabilities. The Mission Head Start Child Development Program enrolls eligible families regardless of race, color, religion and/or disability.
For any questions please call 415-920-0123 to speak with a Family Specialist