Great Opportunity for Grant Writer at Established and Growing Non-Profit!
Mission Neighborhood Centers
San Francisco, CA
It is an exciting time to join Mission Neighborhood Centers, Inc. (MNC)!
MNC provides quality early care and education, enriching after-school programs , empowering workforce development for at-risk youth and engaging activities for elders aimed at helping them avoid isolation and depression.
If this role is a fit, you’ll answer “yes” to all of the following questions:
- Do you want to improve the quality of people’s lives?
- Are you seeking meaning and purpose in your career?
- Do you wish you could work with an organization positively impacting the lives of a low income community?
- Are you self-motivated and results-driven?
- Do you exceed people’s expectations of you on a regular basis?
- Do you like working a fast-paced environment?
Mission Neighborhood Centers (MNC) is seeking a full-time, Grant Writer as the first member of our fund development team. The Grant Writer will assist the VP of Operations to provide leadership, management, planning and execution of MNC’s fund development efforts with private, corporate, philanthropic and government sources of funding. The Grant Writer will lead the charge of prospect research and cultivation, writing letters of intent, grant proposals and reports to funding sources. In addition, the Grant Writer is responsible for managing the grant calendar, maintaining data systems for accurate tracking of funding, providing clear and timely reporting to funders and working closely with the Senior Management team to identify appropriate fund development opportunities to match potential prospects.
Our ideal candidate will understand the needs of marginalized communities, have strong interpersonal skills, compelling and effective written and verbal communication skills; good judgment with the ability to make timely and sound decisions and possesses strong creativity, resourcefulness, and organizational, and analytical skills.
- Coordinate, research, write, edit and generate timely submissions of grant proposals, applications, and response to RFPs in conjunction with Senior Program Staff, CEO and the Executive Management Team.
- Provide leadership as a key member of the Development Team, having responsibility to coordinate, write, compile and submit persuasive grant proposals.
- Develop robust, mission-aligned federal, state and locally compliant program budgets for grant requests, and effectively convert budgets into grant narrative.
- Work with the Development Team and Senior Program Staff to determine goals, objectives, scope, feasibility, funding needs in-keeping with program priorities.
- Support the execution of grants portfolio through research and prospecting, proposal and report writing, and stewardship activities.
- Collect and synthesize information about MNC’s programs to effectively communicate strongest case for support.
- Develop a deep understanding of MNC’s program content to ensure integrity, alignment and quality of proposal writing.
- Compile key programmatic benchmarks and maintain current list objectives and outcomes by program.
- Maintain grant tracking and submit timely reporting.
- Research new funding and grant opportunities that may be appropriate for MNC and present findings to the CEO.
- Establish a research library, maintain grant files and ongoing calendar showing grants submitted, pending, and report deadlines; maintain collateral material for submission with grant applications.
- Remain informed and updated on current public and private grant availability, foundation practices and procedures, and inform staff of matters benefiting their work and on behalf of MNC.
- A Bachelor’s Degree (BA/BS) in Business/Public Administration, Public Policy or in related field; or 5+ years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3+ years of experience in professional writing and budgeting. Experience in grant writing with successful track record for securing significant multi-year commitments.
- Superior heart-felt and compelling writing skills with superior research and project management capabilities.
- Creative, independent thinker, who possesses excellent customer service skills, , a high level of personal integrity, maturity, and business judgment.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize tasks; meet deadlines, conduct presentations and maintain confidential information.
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated attention to detail.
- Superior English written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be well-organized and thrive in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to remain tactful under pressure and present a professional demeanor and communication style with co-workers in a multicultural setting.
- Strong computer skills; Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access).
- Bilingual in English/Spanish preferred.
- Knowledge of fund raising software – MobilCause and DonorPerfect is desired.
- Non-profit experience a plus!
This position is full-time, Monday through Friday with a salary range of $65,000 to $75,000 (commensurate with experience), plus an excellent benefit package, which includes a great work culture and an amazing SF location – the Mission and Excelsior Districts’ melting pot of cultures, cuisines and colorful Latino markets; close to BART, upscale restaurants and the best taquerias and street foods.
How to Apply
If you are qualified and interested in applying, please send your resume and cover letter, salary requirements and a sample of your grant writings with Grant Writer in the subject line. Ideally we would like a few samples of your prior grant writing skills as well as one example grant written specific to MNC’s needs.
Phone calls are not accepted nor will we call you if you don’t submit employment information. Please visit our web site for additional information on our company at: www.mncsf.org
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome diversity in the workplace. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.