Mission Neighborhood Centers
San Francisco, CA
It is an exciting time to join Mission Neighborhood Centers, Inc. (MNC)!
MNC is seeking part-time GED Instructor, will help instruct in the areas of math, science, language arts and social studies, the four areas covered in the GED tests. The GED Instructor gives additional, and/or clarifying, and/or supplemental information to students and performs tasks that support student learning and program curriculum. The GED Instructor must possess the ability to work with students from different cultures, socioeconomic and educational backgrounds.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Provide instruction to students individually and/or in a small group setting with their academic needs and GED testing in Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies, and Science in a bilingual (English/Spanish) setting under the direction of the Precita Site Lead.
- Foster a stimulating environment that encourages student participation, interpersonal skill development and reinforces critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Help maintain a classroom environment that is conductive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interest of the students.
- Conduct student educational assessments of participants.
- Coordinate GED testing with Youth Services Administrator and provide accompaniment for testing as needed.
- Create and maintain confidential student files including student registration, assessments, educational plans, class attendance, test scores, GED Exam completion records, etc.
- Monitor students’ progress and program progress towards performance outcomes.
- Enter program data into online reporting system and prepare monthly narrative program reports.
- Continue to encourage students to continue their advancement by providing assistance in pursuing higher education or vocation training programs after graduation.
- Facilitate appropriate referrals and serve as liaison to assure connections with support services that are consistent with student’s needs.
- Participate in outreach efforts to recruit students and develop retention plans for participants.
- Actively engage in the Youth Services Department Educational Strategy team meetings and curriculum/program development process facilitated by the Education Coordinator.
- Supporting other Youth Service Programs as needed.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Human Services, Social Work, Psychology or related field or with related experience teaching GED curriculum.
Experience: Required 1+ years’ experience working with young adults – typically 17-24 years old. Proficient in math through Algebra II. Strong background in High School Science, Social Studies and Language Arts.
Schedule Requirement: 20-25 hours a week; available Wednesdays from 6-8pm or Thursdays from 3-5pm or 5-7pm. Available to work with students 2-4 hours/week outside of class.
- Current CA Driver’s License, current auto insurance and a clean driving record.
- Current CPR & First Aid Certificate (every 2 years thereafter)
- Current Immunizations (TB) (every 2 years thereafter)
- Clearance Child Abuse Index
Language(s): Fluent in English/Spanish, preferably
If you are seeking an organization that values, promotes and develops leadership by delivering culturally sensitive, multi-generational, community based services that empower families to build strong, healthy, and vibrant neighborhoods with the vision of a strong, healthier and more vibrant community that respects and celebrates its many rich, cultural traditions, please apply.
How to Apply
If you are qualified and interested in applying, please send your resume and cover letter with GED Instructor in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please do not contact us by phone. Please visit our web site for additional information on our Company web-site at: www.mncsf.org
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome diversity in the workplace. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.